Saturday, July 4, 2015

Human Rights and Being Remembered

The thought has occurred to me more than once: the idea that in future generations, our actions and inactions will be judged with regards to equal rights, with regards to asylum seekers, with regards to many local and global issues of conscience.

And selfishly, this is a compelling argument. Because it is just too damn easy to "click like" and have an opinion, while it is hard to find something meaningful to actually do something.

I talk the talk  -  Australia's mistreatment of asylum seekers is reprehensible. And I, as an Australian, am unwillingly responsible for this violation of human rights, for this crime Australia's lack of action with regards to climate change is shameful, and will have permanent consequences for future generations who inhabit this earth that we are failing to care for. Australia's (slowly changing) attitude to LGBTQ rights (not just marriage equality) is embarrassing.

If I do nothing about these issues, I provide no incentive for those who need a push to act. Sadly there are people who need a political or monetary incentive to do the right thing... And by my inaction (and signing an online petition really doesn't do much...) I don't do anything to push the people in power to make the right decision; to make a decision on behalf of my country that I can be proud of.

And if I need any further reason to act, then, selfishly, I can think what future generations will think of me. I won't have any children, but my nephew (and future nephews, nieces, friends children etc.) can look back at our generation and judge us harshly. How could we have let this happen? Why did we not demand change not just by our clicking of social media buttons, but with our actions?

The funny thing about imagining the judgement of those future generations, is that you are really projecting your inner conscience. Which just goes to further reinforce what I already know: these issues deserve my action and my voice. I shouldn't have to defer to a hypothetical judgement to reveal what I know to be right and wrong.

And so I am trying to do things. I can't do a lot. But when I can, I lend my money - since that speaks loudly for me. When I can - I counter poor arguments; I challenge mistaken conceptions. And one day I'll get over my own anxiety enough to participate in protests and more confrontational forms of action. (No I'll never resort to violence).

I don't really know why I am writing a blog that no one reads about this... except to say that it helps to get my thoughts in order. This is what I think, and is what I believe. I suppose it is a manifesto of sorts.

No comments:

Post a Comment